SBC Week 1: Introductions

Spring 2017 Student Blogging Challenge Begins!

Week 1: Introductions

Miss W or tasteach

Whenever you see either of these avatars or images on the world wide web, you will know it is me. I am a retired teacher who began blogging with students in 2008. I still blog with teachers and students in Tasmania, Australia. I also blog about my family history and whenever I travel, Davo the Tasmanian devil keeps a blog about his adventures with me. But the event I enjoy most is running the Student Blogging Challenge twice a year, with the help of the staff at Edublogs.

This challenge we have many new students and classes taking part so let’s get some admin out of the way before we start our activities for this week. Anything written in bold and blue is a link you can click on to take you to another blog or website.

With so many new students and teachers taking part, you might like to start with this video created by the team at Edublogs. Here is a PDF activity about blogging terms that you might want to use after watching the video.

Time now for the two activities for this week!

Activity 1: Update your avatar.  There are many different avatar creation sites on the web. Miss W has been to many of them and has created lots of different avatars. Some you just save and download to your computer to then upload into your blog. Others you need to use the snipping tool to save a square image of your avatar. It is always best to save as a jpg format.

Here is a symbaloo of websites to use for avatar making. Feel free to add this to your blog. Along the bottom are pages where teachers have listed lots of sites as well as shown examples. The easiest to do are on the right-hand side and look like my avatar.

To add your avatar to your blog, if using Edublogs, check here.

Did you find a great avatar site not mentioned here? Write a post about your avatar and how it represents you. Include a link to the website where you created the avatar.

Activity 2: Write or update your About Me page.

Whenever Miss W visit a blog for the first time, she always checks to see who the person is that is writing the blog posts. Do they have similar interests?  If you already have an About Me page, you might want to create an About my State page as well. Be creative:

What is the difference between a page and a post?  Check out the information here.

1. Login to your blog, go to Settings> Discussion and make sure the default setting is ticked for allow people to leave comments> save the changes at the bottom
  2. Now go to the dashboard>pages>add new
  3. Change the title to About Me or something similar.
  4. If you only have one row of icons above the box, click on the last icon called the kitchen sink or toggle. This opens a second row which allows you to change font colors.
  5. In the box, write a bit about yourself remembering to be internet safe. Make sure you have checked out the pages from other students mentioned – many of them have been blogging for a while.
  6. In the area under the page writing box, you should see a Discussion box – open this and make sure you have ticked Allow comments.
  7. When you have finished, click the big button on the right side of your screen – probably says update or send for review.
  8. Once you have saved your about me page, go back and delete the sample page.
  9. If your theme doesn’t show pages in the header area, then you will need to go to dashboard> appearance> widgets and drag across the Pages one to your sidebar.

Finished the work for week 1?

Once you have done your activity for this week, remember to return to Miss W’s page and leave a comment on that post. Include a link to your blog post so that Miss W can try and visit in the next week. Great posts will be added to the Flipboard magazine on the sidebar.

Then head off to the participating classes or participating student list and start visiting other blogs. You might not want to comment this week but maybe check them out. Are there any students with interests the same as you?

Add the 2017 Student Blogging Challenge Badge to your blog!  Click here to find out how!